Bird Babes

Monday, January 26, 2015

How to achieve solid dreadlocks and a healthy scalp

By Terra Anderson

As for dread care, I find that most of us dreadies have specific routines that we swear by, but we all have the same thing in common: we don't want to do anything to our hair! And that’s good, I say let it do what it does.

Having spent 5 years with two sets of dreadlocks, my bottom line to maintaining solid locks and a healthy scalp is to wash them regularly. My shampooing advice is very similar for dreadheads as it is for non-locked hair: It is not about your hair as much as you might think, but about your scalp.

About once a week, dead skin, products, and general debris need to be scrubbed away using your fingers and warm water. I enjoy using Kevin Murphy's Maxi Wash, a detoxifying/exfoliating shampoo. I follow up after towel drying with Kevin Murphy's Young Again Serum applying at my scalp to rehydrate and protect.

Many of us are learning that most drug store shampoos are too full of harsh cleansers that strip color and much needed natural oils. Kevin Murphy avoids sulfates for this reason and is also color safe. I do encourage people to experiment with alternatives, but just keeping to the plan of scalp scrubbing.

Special Pro Tips

  • If your dreads are super locked and established, use conditioner! This Colorado air dries my hair out past the point of being okay.
  • Rinse any shampoo or cleansing agent FULLY from your dreads.
  • Always let your hair dry completely before putting in a tam, or ponytail, turban or bandana. Failure to do so may lead to mold.

For more information on the benefits of these products and their ingredients, visit the following links:
Maxi Wash
Young Again Serum

No comments:

Post a Comment