Bird Babes

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Allergies: Your makeup's worst enemy

The other day I woke up, got ready for work, and walked Valentine the two block stretch to the salon. On my way, I stopped to smell the roses, so to speak. Actually… they were lilacs, one of my favorite spring blossoms. Coming up on the next block, I saw a tree abundant with pale pink cherry blossoms. And, although I was in a hurry to make it to work, I simply couldn't resist. I walked up, sniffed a floral budded branch and instantly sneezed. "Achoo! Ugh! Sniff!" I said to no one in particular, as I wiped the tears from my eyes.
As I walked into 3 Little Birds, I took off my sunglasses and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Yikes! Mascara-laced tears had welled up and dried beneath my eyes and two grey streaks ran down my face from my eyes to my lips. I was wearing a face only a clown could love, and after all that effort I had spent on my makeup too. What a shame.
Upon entering the bathroom, I grabbed a tissue and tried to gently wipe the misplaced makeup from my face. However, once the grey was gone, two faint snail trails remained, where my tears had erased my face makeup. My day hadn't even started yet and I looked like a wreck. Screw you, allergies! What did I ever do to you? You tempt me with your pretty flowers and fragrant smells… and for what? A stuffed nose and a smeared face? Damn, Spring… I thought we were friends.
Since allergy season is upon us, I've decided to change my makeup routine. I've come to terms with the fact that my eyes are going to water and, although primers are helpful, I prefer to not pack on several layers of makeup. Plus, they aren't necessarily miracle workers. With this in mind, I've switched my makeup routine in an effort to keep things low maintenance.
In lieu of black liquid eyeliner, my go-to for years and years, I've been playing up other features. Lately, I like either a bright orange/red or deep berry lip stain, paired with strong brows and a subtle eye.
I use a vanilla matte shadow that matches my complexion, and barely any mascara in case I tear up. At night, I'll apply lightly black pencil eyeliner just around the outside top and bottom lash lines (from the outside edge to the top and bottom centers of the eye) and smudge it. That way my lashes look fuller and I can wear eyeliner that isn't going to smudge much further if a testy tulip makes me cry.
I apply BB cream all over my face, and also my lips when I'm going to apply a stain, as it serves as a primer. If you want to rock a nude lip, just apply rosebud salve on top; if you want to avoid getting it on your lips in the first place, apply rosebud salve before.)
A bright lip and strong brows make for a light springy look that is both striking and simple to achieve. Plus, if allergies take over, you only have to worry about a runny nose. Your liquid eye liner will be ready to make an appearance again in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment